Day 9: a zero a zero a zero

There’s bad weather coming.

And honestly, it’s what I am expecting on this trail now. Except the weather coming is going to hit when I would be on one of the highest and most exposed peaks of the Arizona Trail: Mt. Mica in Saguaro National Park.

When I got into Patagonia, I declared that I was done with snow. It’s fine to play in but not when you are backpacking on a long trail with limited supplies and very few ways to get out. It’s going to get very unsafe.

This is most of the last 24 hours.

We’ve been going back and forth on what to do. Saguaro National Park is very challenging because there are only two places to camp within the park. You need permits. Plus one of the places is very high so it is likely to be snow covered.

Scratch called a ranger and got inside information and the lower camp doesn’t seem like an option. There are no permits available anyway, but even if there were, it’s not an option. The higher camp isn’t an option either due to the forecast. So, Saguaro National Park isn’t feasible.

Dave in red, we love you

We packed everything up and went to Summit Hut, the best outfitter I have ever been to, ever in my life. Dave spent an hour with us trying to figure out a plan and we finally have some semblance of a plan.

We booked an Airbnb for 4 nights in Tucson. It’s amazing. Tomorrow we will slackpack into the park and come back here. Then we wait out the storm. Thank goodness for Bangles renting a car.

I got new shoes in town – an apt name, don’t you think? – new socks and sun gloves because my hands are getting totally fried.

I guess these investments mean I’m not quitting yet! 🙂